Building Regulation Compliance

______ As accredited Energy Assessors and Low Carbon Consultants, we are fully qualified to produce energy assessments on both residential (SAP) and commercial (SBEM) developments. 

From planning to practical completion working with us will ensure that your project complies with the relevant energy and carbon requirements of the Building Regulations.

Building Regulations

Under Section 6 (Energy) and Part L1A, all new buildings (domestic and non-domestic) require energy assessments to be carried out before work can start on site.

An energy assessor is therefore required to perform an assessment of the design using a prescribed methodology to demonstrate compliance with the regulations. The results of this assessment must then be submitted to Building Control as part of the building warrant application process. The Building Regulations outline different procedures for assessing energy in domestic and non-domestic buildings as described below.

Domestic (SAP)

The Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) is adopted by Government as the UK methodology for calculating the energy performance of dwellings.  

The SAP rating is based on the energy costs associated with space heating, water heating, ventilation and lighting, less cost savings from renewable technologies.

Non-domestic (SBEM/DSM)

The Simplified Building Energy Model (SBEM) is the equivalent methodology for calculating energy performance in non-domestic buildings in the UK. For more complex buildings, approved dynamic simulation modelling (DSM) software is used.

Both methodologies compare CO2 emissions, where the emissions from the ‘actual’ building must not exceed those which are calculated for the ‘notional’ (benchmark) building to comply with the Building Regulations.

What happens if compliance is not achieved?

Following a review, should compliance not be achieved, Carbon Futures will provide advice and solutions to ensure compliance is accomplished in the most cost-effective manner.

When this process is complete, we will issue a series of reports that will be passed onto Building Control for approval to allow construction to begin on site.

________ How we can help?